Trusted Parents is looking for qualified candidates who are interested in working at our summer camp.
Are you looking for a great summer employment/internship opportunity? Are you a teacher off for the summer, a college student looking for a summer job or community hours, or just a terrific individual who loves working with special needs children, available for summer employment? Then we are interested in you!!! We are looking for individuals at least 17 years old, who have a high energy level. If you fit this description and want to be considered for employment, apply, and a human resource representative will contact you.
Our Youth Development Specialist are hired to provide a safe and encouraging environment where youth with unique challenges are valued and given the opportunity to explore new experiences. Camp Trusted Parents provides summer day camps specifically designed for children and teens with special needs entering grades 2-12 and their non-disabled siblings entering grades 2-8. Campers may have developmental, physical, intellectual, learning and/or mental impairments. The camper to staff ratio is twelve-to-three.
- Must be 17 years or older.
- Pursuing or possessing a degree in education, recreation, social work, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, psychology, or related field preferred.
- Desire to work with children and a willingness to learn.
- Maturity, good moral character, and integrity.
- Communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Must be able to monitor the safety and well-being of campers.
- Model appropriate behavior and use positive behavior-management techniques.
- Must be able to actively participate in a variety of activities, including running.
- Must provide proof of yearly health physical
- Must obtain First Aid and CPR certification prior to the start of camp. (Must have proof)
- Must pass background checks.
- At least one year experience working with children/teens.
- Experience working with children/teens with special needs preferred.
- Experience in a school or camp setting preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The role of the Youth Development Specialist includes the following responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and guidance of a group of 10-24 campers with and without special needs.
- Assist the campers in increasing independence, experiencing community membership, increasing social skills, building peer relationships, and increasing self-confidence
- Cooperate with the entire staff in working together for the welfare of the camp and its campers.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with other staff members and volunteers.
- Set a positive example, be a role-model in your words and actions.
- Participate in all training activities that are provided by the camp for your personal growth and skill development, including pre-camp orientation.
- Actively participate in all activities, including field trips and therapeutic recreation.
- Adapt activities, as needed, to allow active participation by all campers.
- Provide additional assistance (e.g., interpreting instructions, providing physical assistance) to help the campers learn the recreational skills.
- Encourage and create positive social interactions between the campers.
- Provide positive reinforcement or other behavioral intervention, as needed.
- Assist campers at drop off and pick up.